Spot Shooting Challenge with Coach Tony Miller
by Tony Miller, on Feb 5, 2021 9:30:00 AM
In this Dr. Dish Drill of the week, Coach Tony Miller breaks down a great shooting challenge drill to increase competition while getting up a lot of shots called spot shooting. Check out the full breakdown below!
This is a another player-favorite shooting drill. Especially for single-player workouts, I’m always looking for ways to include competitiveness. In this drill, players are competing against the clock to make a set number of shots in the least amount of time.
- The player will shoot from 5 spots on the floor, starting in the corner, while the coach serves as passer from the free throw line.
- Once the stopwatch starts, the player must make two shots from each spot before moving on to the next location.
- After completing all 5 spots, the player moves back to the top of the key and must make 5 shots.
- On the final make, the clock stops.
- Adjust the difficulty of the drill however you’d like (e.g., we’ve made players make two in-a-row before moving on to the next spot) based on the skill level of the player.
Want more from Coach Tony Miller? Check out his podcast, A Quick Timeout as well as his twitter/social media account @tonywmiller. We're so grateful to have him on our Dr. Dish team! Check out his other Dr. Dish Basketball Drills here.